Sunday, February 26, 2012

Shepherd's Pie {MY VERSION}



I had never really tried Shepherd's Pie before a long conversation with my cousin, who makes it all the time.  She told me it was super easy and it was a favorite in her house so I knew I had to get the recipe and try it.  I made it and was shocked at how easy it was and how delicious it was.  This was going to be a keeper for us as well, I just knew it! This is my version, modified from the traditional Shepherd's Pie made with Lamb Meat and Vegetables. This recipe makes enough to serve between 6-8.

1/2 tray of ground turkey
2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon cayenne (more or less depending on taste)
1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 onion, chopped
2 packets brown gravy mix (any brand you like)
1 shepherd’s pie mix (I use the Coleman Brand)
1/2-1 cup water depending on how thick you want the meat
Mashed potato (your favorite recipe or boxed)
Cheese

In a frying pan, add butter and the turkey meat, mixing it until it starts to brown. Then add onions, Cayenne (to taste), salt (to taste), black pepper (to taste), and garlic.  Once all that is combined, add the brown gravy mix, shepherd’s pie mix, and water to make the gravy (starting with ¼ cup, adding more as you need).  Adjust thickness as you like.  Transfer the meat to a baking dish and allow it to cool as you prepare the mashed potato.

In another pot make mashed potatoes like you usually do (make sure you make enough to cover the meat).  I usually use about 4-5 large russet potato to make enough to cover a large rectangle dish.  I love homemade mashed potatoes so boxed is really never an option for me!

Top the meat with the potatoes, making sure to cover the entire surface.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes.  Once 40 minutes have passed, top the potatoes with your favorite cheese and return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted completely.  Allow the Shepherd’s Pie to cool for about 10 minutes and cut and serve. 
This is one of my family's favorite comfort type dishes.  It is so delicious and even better right out of the oven with the cheese hot and bubbly! Make this today and you will not be sorry! Whenever you do, make sure you take the Thyme to Savor...

No comments:

Post a Comment