Monday, October 22, 2012

Espresso Ice Cream


My family loves ice cream. I love ice cream, specifically Hagen Daz Coffee and Chocolate ice cream.  I love to mix the two flavors and let it get nice and gooey together!  I recently stole borrowed an ice cream maker from my mom that belonged to my sister.  Hey after 3 years of marriage and her not claiming it at my mom’s house, in my book it was up for grabs! I totally scored! I found a recipe on Food Network for an Espresso Ice Cream by none other than The Barefoot Contessa! I had to try it.  I did modify the recipe to use instant espresso versus the ground espresso beans because I like my espresso ice cream smooth, left out the chocolate covered espresso beans and left out the liqueur! It worked perfectly.  The finished product really was close to the Hagen Daz I love! I knew this would be a keeper! Here is the recipe:
Ingredients
  • 3 cups half-and-half
  • 6 extra-large egg yolks
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • Pinch salt
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons ground espresso coffee beans, **I used instant espresso
  • 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur (recommended: Kahlua) **I left this out
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 4 ounces (1/2 cup) chocolate-covered espresso beans, chopped **I left this out
Directions
Heat the half-and-half until it forms bubbles around the edge of the pan and steam starts to rise. Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the egg yolks, sugar, and salt until mixed. Slowly add the hot half-and-half until combined. Wipe out the pan and pour the mixture back into the clean pan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 5 to 10 minutes, until it's thickened and the cream coats the back of the spoon.
Pour the cream through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl. Add the instant espresso and vanilla and refrigerate until completely chilled. I usually chill mine overnight.
Pour the espresso cream into an ice-cream freezer and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions, I usually let mine go for 30-40 minutes. Once complete, spoon into a container, and allow to freeze for a few hours. Soften slightly before serving.
This will be a recipe you will keep forever and use over and over again, I know I will! This is one I love to take the Thyme to Savor...

No comments:

Post a Comment